The Avenue Coffee Shop is an integral part of the Centre and is a welcoming safe space for everyone to come and have refreshments, meet people and find out what is going on in the local community. It is a friendly meeting place offering affordable food and drinks. The Coffee Shop is open, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am – 3:00pm. We serve tasty food, with a varied menu of breakfasts, lunches, snacks, hot meals and drinks.
Volunteers will act as a member of The Avenue Coffee Shop Team assisting the Coffee Shop Manager in the preparation and delivery of various hot and cold food and drinks and assisting with the day to day running of the Coffee Shop.
Tasks to include:
Provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our customers and deal with them in a friendly and polite manner.
- Preparing and serving drinks and food as required.
- Handling cash and operation of the till (training will be provided).
- Ensuring tables and surrounding area are clean and tidy.
- Emptying waste bins.
- Any other tasks as requested or appropriate with nature of the role.
General responsibilities and expectations are set out in the Volunteer agreement, which you need to read and sign before starting your volunteering at St Martin’s centre.
Skills and/or Qualities required:
- Experience in a similar environment would be helpful but not essential – an interest and a commitment to good customer service is more important.
- Able to follow the appropriate food hygiene legislation and Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Have a friendly and approachable manner and good communication skills.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of the Coffee Shop Manager.
The Avenue will initially be open Tuesday-Fridays, 8.30-3.00pm. Days and times to be discussed on an individual basis. A regular time commitment would be appreciated.
Training, Support & Supervision:
Full training will be provided including induction to the Centre. You will also be required to undertake Food Safety and Hygiene Level 1.
- Uniform will be provided.
- Regular support meetings will be provided.
- A DBS check will be required which will be free to the volunteer. Please note you must complete the DBS procedure before you are able to volunteer in the Centre.
- Any agreed out-of-pocket expenses associated with your volunteering role will be reimbursed.
We are always looking for help with the various fundraising events we arrange at the Centre. We may ask you if you would be willing to join in. There is no obligation, but this could be an additional activity you would like to get involved in.